Big Breakfast Green Smoothie
Green smoothies can be counted as food because they contain all of the fibre and cellular structures of the fruits and vegetables that go into them (unlike juices). The natural sugars in the fruit are also still encased in this surrounding structure so that they continue to be intrinsic sugars which don’t cause such rapid blood sugar spikes. If you haven’t tried a green smoothie before then don’t be put off by the amount of spinach, once blended together you won’t be able to taste it. This recipe makes one large smoothie which you may find surprisingly filling!
- Peel and roughly chop the bananas, wash, core and roughly chop the apples.
- Add the water to the processor and then add the spinach leaves. Blend on high for 10 – 15 seconds to start breaking up the leaves.
- Add the bananas, apples and frozen berries and blend on high until there are no lumps left.
- Add the chia seeds and pulse for another 30 seconds to mix.
- Drink immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 hours. Mix well before drinking.