Butter Bean Croquettes with Beetroot Raita
This clean-eating, gluten-free croquette recipe uses butter beans, sweet potato, carrots and spices. These croquettes are crispy on the outside and softly melting on the inside. Perfect when paired with a tangy beetroot raita. This recipe also has anti-cancer benefits provided by a good dose of turmeric.
Makes 12-14 croquettes,
Make the raita
- Finely dice the beetroot.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the yoghurt, beetroot, cumin, salt and the green chilli. Set to one side and allow to sit at room temperature for half an hour. This is important as it allows the flavours to develop and meld together.
Make the croquettes (makes 12)
- Peel and slice the sweet potato and carrot. Boil until very soft then drain.
- Drain the butter beans then add to the pan and mash with the potato and carrot until smooth. Set to one side.
- In a small frying pan, fry the onions gently in ghee for a few minutes. Then add the spices, salt and pepper. Continue to fry gently for another 5 minutes allowing the spices to toast and become aromatic. Stir often to prevent them from catching and burning.
- Add the spiced onions to the butter bean mash and stir really well to mix.
- Form the mash into croquette shapes using your hands. Pat the mixture together firmly.
- Gently dip each croquette into beaten egg and then roll in the gram flour until coated.
- Pan fry in ghee for 5-8 minutes until brown and crispy, or oven-cook for 20 minutes at 200°C.
- Give the beetroot raita a good stir and then serve in a dipping bowl, with the croquettes.