High Protein Almond Macaroons
These little almond macaroons are gluten-free and dairy-free. They are made by simply mixing ground almonds and coconut sugar into whipped egg whites. It is so simple, and yet the result is so perfect! These macaroons are just sweet enough, with a crisp surface and a soft cakey centre. They are also high in protein and low in carbohydrates.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C.
- Combine the ground almonds and coconut sugar in a bowl and mix well.
- Whip the egg whites and vanilla extract using a food mixer or a balloon whisk, until the whites are light and fluffy, and forming stiff peaks.
- Gently mix the ground almonds into the egg white, folding with a metal spoon to incorporate the ingredients without losing too many air bubbles.
- Use a spoon to scoop out balls of the mixture. Roll them gently in your hands to form an oval shape and then place the macaroon onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat until you have used all of the mixture.
- Flatten down each macaroon carefully with the back of a fork.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 10-12 minutes, until just starting to turn golden.