Whole Baked Celebration Squash with Crispy Fried Sage
Celebration squash is a seasonal, autumnal vegetable. When it is baked whole like this, you can eat the entire squash, including the skin.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C.
- Put the whole squashes on a baking tray. Using a skewer or thin sharp knife, pierce the squash through to the centre in several places – this will prevent pressure building up inside the squash.
- Rub each squash in olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes, until the skewer goes right through the squash and it is tender.
- Remove the squash from the oven and set to one side.
- Roughly tear the sage into pieces. Heat the rapeseed oil in a small saucepan, when it is nice and hot, drop the sage leaves into the oil and allow them to fry for 3 or 4 minutes until crisp. Lift them out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel.
- Cut each squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle with the leftover oil from frying the sage, then scatter with the crispy sage leaves.