‘Packet Mix’ Beef Casserole
Many people rely on shop-bought casserole mixes when they are making a casserole. However these mixes often contain undesirable ingredients such as sugar and additives. This recipe provides an easy homemade herb mix, which you can batch prepare in advance ready for when you need it. This clean eating beef casserole recipe is also gluten-free.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Add all of your casserole mix herbs and flour into a measuring jug and set to one side.
- In a flameproof casserole dish, melt the ghee and brown the beef in batches. Put the browned beef to the side in a high-sided dish to catch any resting juices.
- Fry the onions in the same casserole dish that you browned the beef. Add 2 tbsp of water and as you cook the onions, scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula to get all of the browned residue off the base and incorporated into your casserole.
- While the onions are sweating, add the 250mls of boiling water to your casserole mix in the measuring jug, stirring well to remove any lumps. Add the tinned tomatoes to the jug and stir again to mix.
- Add the browned beef, resting juices, carrots and mushrooms to the casserole pot. Then pour the tomato and water mix into the casserole pan.
- Cook in the oven for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. If the casserole starts to look dry, add a little more water and stir well.
*You can now buy onion granules in many supermarkets. Find them in the herb and spices section.
**Gram flour (ground chickpeas) is a nutritious and gluten-free alternative to wheat flour. However you can substitute normal wholemeal wheat flour here if you want to.