Sweet & Sour Borscht Soup
This slightly untraditional version of Borscht is vegan-friendly and packed with sweet beetroot flavour, offset by the sourness of fresh lemon juice. Beetroot is a high source of folates, B vitamins and minerals. This clean-eating soup recipe is also naturally low calorie and low in fat.
- In a large saucepan, cook the onions over a low heat and allow to soften for about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced apples to the saucepan and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the hot water, beetroot and salt to the pan, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the apples, onions and beetroot are really soft.
- Add the drained butter beans and lemon juice to the saucepan, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before blending.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.