Fresh Blackcurrant Crumble
Fresh blackcurrants are such a summer treat. They have a distinctive and beautiful flavour and they are extremely good for you. These dark purple currants are rich in vitamin c and B vitamins, they contain high levels of anthocyanin compounds which are antioxidants that help fight cancer, dementia and chronic inflammation.
- Wash the blackcurrants and remove any woody stalks. Place the currants into a large saucepan with the water, then simmer gently for 30 minutes. When the currants have broken down almost completely, stir in the sugar then remove the pan from the heat. Taste the mixture and add more sugar or maple syrup if needed.
- Place the cooled blackcurrant compote into a baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almonds, pecans, maple syrup and coconut oil to make a fairly wet crumble.
- Dot the crumble mix over the surface of the blackcurrants, try and place it in an even crust all over the surface.
- Bake in the oven at 220°C for 20-30 minutes (until the crumble is nicely browned and crisp). Serve immediately.