Clean Eating Breadsticks with Cheese & Garlic
These clean eating breadsticks are crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside. Flavoured with garlic and cheese, these breadsticks are perfect on their own, or for dipping into hummus or salsa.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, dried yeast, salt and herbs. Give the mix a good stir to thoroughly mix the ingredients.
- Add the olive oil, crushed garlic clove and warm water to the dry ingredients. Use your hands to bring the dough together, gently kneading and bringing the dry ingredients into the wet.
- When the dough has come together in a sticky ball, transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until it becomes smooth, non-sticky and elastic.
- Put the dough back in the mixing bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to rise for an hour.
- After a hour your dough should have nearly doubled in size. Tip it back onto your lightly floured surface and knead it again, knocking it back down in size again.
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces (you may find it easiest to roll the dough into a thick sausage and then slice it in half, half again and so on).
- Roll each dough ball into a long thin sausage shape and place on an oiled baking tray.
- Sprinkle the sticks with the cheddar, you can roll the breadsticks slightly in the baking tray to get the cheese to stick to them. Sprinkle the breadsticks generously with black pepper.
- Place the tray in a warm place and allow to rise for another 30 minutes. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Bake the breadsticks for 20 minutes until crispy and golden.