Clean Homemade ‘Belvita’ Style Breakfast Biscuits
These clean-eating, ‘Belvita’ style biscuits are bursting with genuine whole grains, with no refined flour, sugar or preservatives. These biscuits are filling, nutritious and very satisfying. Perfect for occasional on-the-go breakfasts with a piece of fruit, or as a delicious, healthier snack.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Place the oats in a food processor and blend them until they are finely ground. Place the ground oats in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients (flours, cocoa, baking powders, coconut sugar) to the oats and mix thoroughly.
- Add the olive oil into the dry ingredients and mix well. When the mixture starts to stick together, add the almond milk.
- Using your hands, bring the crumbs together into a ball – you may have to lightly knead the dough until it is firm enough to hold together. The mixture will be crumbly but moist.
- Place half of the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until it is just over ½ cm thick. Cut out the biscuits and line them up on a baking tray lined with more baking paper. These biscuits don’t spread so you can line them up fairly tightly.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until crisp. Remember that these biscuits are quite dark even before baking, due to the wholemeal flours and cocoa.
- Allow to cool. Store in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.
The cost provided is for a batch of 16 biscuits, not per serving. A recommended serving is 2 biscuits.
For further information on the method, with images, read the blog – How to make Belvita-Style Breakfast Biscuits.
Find this recipe, and 100 other recipes in the cookbook: 101 Clean Eating Recipes for Home Cooks. Available in printed hard copy and iPad-friendly PDF versions.