Gluten Free Carrot Polenta Cake with Orange
This clean eating carrot polenta cake is naturally gluten-free and full of health giving nutrients. Kept moist by the use of olive oil and carrots soaked in orange juice, this lovely cake is then topped with a sweet orange cream cheese frosting.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C and line the base of a 7 inch square cake tin with parchment paper. Lightly oil the sides of the tin with olive oil.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the grated carrots, orange zest and orange juice. Mix well to ensure the carrots are evenly soaked and set to one side.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, eggs, olive oil and vanilla essence.
- Slowly sift the polenta and baking powder into the liquid eggs mixture. Whisk continuously to avoid lumps.
- Once the polenta has been incorporated, stir in the carrot and orange mixture. Mix well so that the carrots are evenly distributed throughout the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into your cake tin and bake in the centre of the oven for approximately 30 minutes. When the cake is golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean, the cake is ready. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for ten minutes before turning out onto a wire rack for further cooling.
- When the cake is cold, whisk together the cream cheese, maple syrup and orange zest until it is thick and fluffy. Spread the frosting on top of the cake and serve.
This cake can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.