Sweet Potato & Cheddar Savouries
You can enjoy these gluten-free savoury biscuits on their own, or as an accompaniment to dip in soups or serve with salads. Made with sweet potato, tangy cheddar cheese and gluten-free gram flour, these biscuits are not only delicious, they also have a low-glycaemic index and provide slow-release energy.
Note: This recipe includes a 1 hour chilling step.
- Add the flour, salt and butter to a large mixing bowl. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the cheese and mix well.
- Break the egg into a small mixing bowl and beat gently with a fork. Add the sweet potato mash into the egg and mash the potato and egg together until they are well combined.
- Pour the potato and egg mixture into your dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients and then use your hands to bring everything together. Knead the dough very lightly to ensure the ingredients are well combined. The dough will be quite sticky, that’s fine.
- Lay out a square of clingfilm on a work surface. Lightly dust the cling film with gram flour then lay your dough in the centre. Roll the dough into a sausage shape, wrap with the cling film and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C
- While your oven is pre-heating, take the dough out of the fridge and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Unwrap the dough and slice rounds with a sharp knife. Place the rounds on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. You can press the rounds flatter with your fingers when they are on the tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown and the bases are crispy and turning dark brown.