Summer Cherry Clafoutis
This healthier, clean eating cherry clafoutis is made with Greek yoghurt and ground almonds, to make a light, gluten-free cake. The almond batter is poured onto plump, ripe cherries for a beautifully delicious dessert.
Cherries contain powerful antioxidants which help to fight cancer and prevent ageing. As well as providing nutritional value, the almonds in this recipe will to keep you fuller for longer (it is therefore a good choice for people looking to lose weight). When combined with the complex carbohydrates in the fruit, this dessert will provide a sustained source of energy for the body. This clean dessert only contains a small amount of honey, as the ripe cherries are sweet enough as they are.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C.
- Grease a 7 inch pie dish with a little olive oil (don’t use a springform tin as the batter will leak).
- Add the cherries in a single layer on the bottom of the dish.
- Add the yoghurt, beaten eggs, honey, almond essence and salt to a large mixing bowl. Whisk together with a balloon whisk until well combined, light and fluffy.
- Fold the ground almonds into the whisked yoghurt and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter over the cherries in the pie dish and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
- After baking, allow the cake to sit for 5 minutes before serving.