Double Chocolate Crème Eggs
These dreamy dairy-free clean eating chocolate crème eggs are rich, decadent, creamy and delicious. A crisp chocolate shell, with a rich chia chocolate mousse. Vegan recipe.
Makes 6 small chocolate eggs (filling 12 half egg moulds)
You can use small silicon chocolate egg moulds, or, if you don’t want to make eggs, you can use any other silicon moulds to create chocolate cases for your mousse to sit inside.
- Make the chocolate egg shells – break the chocolate into pieces and melt in a microwave, or in a bowl sitting over a pan of boiling water. Stir regularly until melted.
- Pour a spoonful of melted chocolate into each mould. Pick the mould up and turn it around in your hands, swirling the chocolate to the outer edges of your mould. Keep swirling gently, allowing the melted chocolate to coat the inside and making sure you get enough chocolate to the outer edges of each shape.
- Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature (approximately half an hour).
- Make the chocolate mousse – while the cases are setting, you can make the mousse. Add your remaining ingredients, except the chia seeds, into a large mixing bowl (or food processor bowl) and whisk together. Make sure all of the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated and no lumps remain.
- Stir the chia seeds into the chocolate mousse and mix well. Allow the mousse to sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to thicken up.
- Carefully spoon the mousse into the set chocolate egg shells, try to ensure you have no air trapped in the bottom of the cases. Use a pallet knife, or the back of a large kitchen knife to gently scrape the top of the mould and flatten the mousse (this will help when you come to assemble the eggs).
- Freeze the filled egg halves for 30 minutes.
- Gently turn each egg half out of the silicon moulds. Heat a pallet knife or large kitchen knife over the hob and use it to very carefully melt the very edges of the moulds and the top surface of the mousse. Carefully press 2 halves of an egg together and allow it to cool.
- Chill in the fridge for another 3 hours before serving, or store in the fridge for up to a day.