Rich Dark Chocolate & Hazelnut Torte
This clean eating chocolate and hazelnut torte is a decadently delicious treat. This dense cake is made using melted dark chocolate, coconut milk and roasted hazelnuts, for an antioxidant-rich dessert. Use dark chocolate sweetened with coconut sugar, for a 100% clean treat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C. Line the base of a baking tin with parchment paper and grease the sides with a little coconut oil.
- Place a large heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water, keep the water at a gentle simmer but not boiling. Gently melt your chocolate and coconut oil over the heat, stirring constantly.
- When the chocolate has melted, stir in the maple syrup, vanilla essence and salt.
- Slowly start to add your coconut milk. Pour a little coconut milk at a time, steadily whisking it into the chocolate with a balloon whisk. Keep going, slowly, a little at a time, until all of the coconut milk is incorporated and your chocolate ganache is dark and glossy. If the chocolate mix seizes and splits, don’t panic. Quickly remove the bowl from the pan of water and spoon in a dessertspoon at a time of the warm water from the pan, whisking your ganache all the time. The hot water should bring the ganache back to its former, glossy glory. Once you’ve rescued it, slowly incorporate any remaining coconut milk.
- Remove the ganache from the heat, stir in the ground hazelnuts and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until they are light and fluffy. Slowly stir them into your ganache and nut mixture, mix well then pour the batter into your prepared baking tin.
- Place the tin inside a larger roasting tray, and pour about an inch of boiling water into the tray. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes until the torte is firm to the touch. Remove and cool in the tin, before turning the cooled torte onto a wire rack.
- Make the ganache topping – Put a clean bowl over your saucepan of boiling water and melt the remaining 60g of dark chocolate. Slowly pour in the coconut milk and whisk until glossy. Allow the ganache to cool for 10 minutes and start to thicken, before you use it to top your torte.
- Cut the cooled torte into slices and serve.