Clean Eating Digestive Biscuits
Digestive biscuits are a British classic! Crisp, crumbly biscuits that go perfectly with a cup of tea. The leading brand of Digestives in the UK contain white flour, palm oil, sugar and partially inverted sugar syrup. These clean eating digestive biscuits taste just as good but they are made with 100% wholewheat flour and maple syrup.
Maple syrup has a lower glycaemic index than processed sugars. This combined with the fibre in whole wheat flour means that these biscuits don’t raise the blood sugar levels as quickly.
- Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cold butter cubes and rub them into the flour with your fingers, until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the maple syrup and use a spoon to mix it into the flour. As it starts to clump, bring the dough together in a ball.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and chill the dough in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190° and line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper.
- Roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper. When the dough is just over ½ cm thick, cut out 8 rounds with a medium sized circular cutter.
- Place each round on the baking tray, giving each biscuit a little room to grow, and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and then enjoy!