Clean Eating Gravy with Beef & Mushroom
A good, thick, clean eating gravy is hard to come by. This is a ‘proper gravy’, made with the delicious, comforting umami flavour of porcini mushrooms and fresh beef stock. It is really easy to make and is also dairy-free and gluten-free. Perfect with roast beef or roasted vegetables and easily adapted to make chicken or vegetarian versions.
- Place the porcini mushrooms in a measuring jug and fill with 250 mls of boiling water. Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the soaked mushrooms from the water (retaining the liquid) and mince with a sharp knife.
- In a large frying pan, fry the onions in the ghee until they is just starting to brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the reserved porcini liquid to the onion and stir in the minced mushrooms, herbs and garlic powder.
- Add the stock and turn the heat up high. Bring the stock to a boil and allow it to keep bubbling for 10 minutes. The amount of liquid should reduce down by approximately half.
- Remove from the heat and allow the gravy to cool slightly, then blend on high until it is nice and smooth.
- Return the gravy to the pan, taste and add salt and pepper as required (this will depend on the stock that you used).
You can make vegetarian and chicken versions of this gravy by simply swapping the beef stock for vegetable or chicken stock.