Asparagus with a Dairy-Free Lemon Hollandaise
Fresh asparagus goes beautifully with this dairy-free, clean eating Hollandaise sauce. Light and lemony, this sauce is the perfect accompaniment to crisp, steamed asparagus.
Asparagus contains high levels of vitamin K, a substance that helps the blood to clot. It is also high in anti-inflammatory compounds and antioxidants, helping the body to fight cancer and chronic inflammation. Asparagus has been shown to help improve insulin secretion so it helps to lower the risk of Type II diabetes.
- Steam the asparagus for 4 minutes in a lidded pan containing 2 tbsp boiling water.
- In a saucepan, gently heat the olive oil until it is warm but not hot. Pour the oil into a measuring jug.
- Place a bowl over a medium sized saucepan containing boiling water (a bain-marie). Add the egg yolks and lemon juice to the bowl and whisk with a balloon whisk.
- When the yolks are light and fluffy, slowly pour the warm oil into the bowl, whisking constantly.
- The oil should emulsify as it is incorporated into the egg yolk. When all of the oil has been added, keep whisking slowly and add the salt and lemon zest.
- Remove the bain-marie from the heat and let the bowl sit over the pan of warm water while you drain your asparagus.
- Serve the asparagus with the hollandaise in a dipping bowl, or serve the sauce drizzled over the asparagus spears.