Apricot Lebkuchun Gingerbread Hearts
Lebkuchen is a ginger spiced honey cake from eastern Europe. When commercially produced, Lebkuchen often contain high levels of refined sugar, including high fructose corn syrup. They also contain chemical additives and preservatives.
These clean eating lebkuchen have ALL of the taste, flavour and texture, but are made with only nutritious ingredients that contribute to good health.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- In a small saucepan, gently warm the honey and oil until melted. Turn the heat off and set the pan to one side.
- Weight out the flour and then sift it into a large mixing bowl. Discard the large bran flakes that won’t fit through the sieve (you can stir them into porridge or use them in other recipes if desired).
- Add the ground almonds, spices and baking powder to the sieve and sieve these ingredients into the flour. Don’t discard the larger almond pieces this time, tip anything left in the sieve into the mixing bowl. Mix all dry ingredients together well.
- Pour the honey and oil into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. Add the almond milk and bring the dough together in a slightly sticky dough.
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper until it is approximately ¾ cm thick. Cut out 12 heart shapes from the dough.
- Put half of the hearts on a baking tray lined with more parchment paper. Spoon a small tsp of apricot jam into the centre of each heart.
- Using a pastry brush (or your finger), wet the edges of the heart with some water. Then put another heart shape on top of your cake, using your fingers to gently press the two hearts together.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden in colour. Allow to cool.
- Warm the almond milk and coconut oil in a small saucepan until hot but not boiling. Pour the hot milk and oil into a bowl containing the dark chocolate (broken into small pieces). Stir until all of the chocolate is melted. If you need to, put the chocolate in the microwave, or over hot water, for a few seconds to melt it all completely. Dip each heart into the chocolate glaze and allow to cool and set before eating.
*Use a good quality, fruit-only jam such as Meridian’s apricot preserve.
**You can buy clean dark chocolate such as RealFoodSource or OmBar, that is sweetened with coconut sugar.