Clean Eating Macaroni Cheese
Traditional macaroni cheese is very low on nutritional value, however this clean eating macaroni cheese is the exact opposite!
Bursting with nutrients, this recipe uses protein-rich, Gram flour; naturally low-fat almond milk; and whole-grain pasta. Topped with crunchy, cheesy breadcrumbs, this dish is perfect for family meals and for people who are looking to lose weight.
- Add the pasta to boiling water and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the oil to a large heavy based saucepan.
- Mix the Gram flour into the oil.
- Over a low flame, whisk the milk into the flour/oil mixture. Use a balloon whisk if you have one, or a wooden spoon if not.
- When all of the milk has been incorporated, turn the heat up high and continue to whisk continuously.
- As the milk comes to a boil, the sauce will thicken rapidly, keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Once thickened, turn the heat down low and add the nutmeg, salt, pepper and most of the cheese (reserve a handful of cheese for the topping).
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the cheese sauce. Mix well until the pasta is coated in the sauce. Tip the pasta into a serving dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and the reserved cheese. Sprinkle the pasta with the breadcrumb mixture and grill for 5-10 minutes until crisp and golden.