Spiced Spelt and Oat Biscuits
This is a clean-eating recipe for oat biscuits that are genuinely delicious, so you won’t feel like you’re missing out. They are made from nutritious wholegrain spelt flour and filling oats. They contain no preservatives or processed margarines, and natural honey replaces refined sugar to give a moreish sweet treat. Spelt flour is more nutrient dense that wheat flour and contains less gluten.
- Preheat oven 190°C.
- Add the flour, oats, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a mixing bowl and stir well to mix.
- Measure the honey and coconut oil into a small bowl and microwave for 1 minute or until the oil has melted. If you don’t have a microwave you can melt the mixture in a small saucepan.
- Stir the honey and coconut oil into the mixing bowl of dried ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Roll a dessertspoon of the mixture in your hands to make a ball and place on a well-greased oven tray. Flatten out the ball with the back of a spoon to make a flat circle. Repeat for the rest of the mixture.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until crisp and golden brown (bear in mind that the wholegrain flour gives these biscuits a dark appearance even before baking).