Basil Pesto with Courgette Pasta
If you’ve never made your own basil pesto before then you’re in for a treat. The unmistakable smell of basil will fill your kitchen and for just a few minutes of work you will be rewarded with this beautifully aromatic and incredibly tasty sauce.
1. Add the garlic, salt and pine nuts to a food processor (or use a pestle and motar). Pulse mix until the pine nuts are well ground.
2. Add the basil leaves and pulse blend again until the leaves are well combined.
3. Tip the mixture into a medium sized bowl and stir in half of the parmesan.
4. Add 3 tsp of olive oil and stir gently.
5. Add the salt and the rest of the parmesan and stir gently again. Add in the remaining olive oil teaspoon by teaspoon until you get the right consistency (it should be a thick, oozing paste). Season to taste with black pepper and more salt if required.
6. You can serve the pesto with hot or raw courgette spaghetti. If serving hot, stir fry the courgette spaghetti in a wok for 2 minutes then stir through the pesto just before serving.
Fresh pesto is also delicious with hot spaghetti, salmon and chicken. It can also be used as a pizza topping or in sandwiches. It will store in the fridge for a couple of days but is at its best when it has been freshly made.