Crispy Chicken Nuggets with Lemon Mayo
These clean-eating chicken nuggets are extremely easy and quick to make. Great for adults and children alike, these nuggets are also easily adapted to make them gluten free. This recipe is quick enough for a mid-week meal, or make up a large batch for a healthy, weekend fake-away.
- Preheat oven to 190 °C.
- Mix the almonds, flour, salt, paprika and black pepper together in a small bowl.
- Dice the chicken into 1 inch cubes and place in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Shake the seasoned flour mix over your chicken and stir thoroughly until well coated. This may take a few minutes, keep stirring until there is no loose flour at the base of the bowl.
- Melt the ghee and pour over the chicken, stirring gently until coated.
- Place the chicken in a single layer on a preheated baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes until cooked through. The chicken needs to be white throughout as undercooked chicken is very dangerous. At the same time, be careful not to overcook or the chicken will become dry and tough.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare your mayonnaise. Put the egg yolk, salt and lemon juice in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Whisk lightly with a balloon whisk until the yolk brightens in colour.
- Start to add the olive oil in a steady, slow drizzle, whisking continuously. Keep pouring the oil slowly as the mayo starts to thicken. Once all of the oil has been incorporated, stir in the lemon zest.
- As soon as the chicken is ready, serve immediately and enjoy dipped in your preservative and sugar-free mayonnaise.