Slow Cooked Sausage Cassoulet
This clean eating sausage casserole can be cooked in the slow cooker to provide a hearty meal at the end of a long day. If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can cook this casserole in the oven for an hour.
This recipe creates a rich tomato casserole, with preservative-free sausages and cannellini beans. The dish contains complex carbohydrates and good quality protein for a filling dinner.
- Lightly fry your sausages for just long enough to add some colour on the outside (about 5 minutes).
- Add your onion to the bottom of your slow cooker dish (or casserole dish).
- Add the stock, tomatoes, herbs, beans and paprika to the slow cooker and stir to mix.
- Place the sausages on the top of the tomato base and push them down to submerge slightly.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. If you don’t have a slow cooker, put the casserole in the oven and bake at 190°C for 60 minutes.
- To serve, remove the sausages and slice thinly. Stir the sauce well then serve the casserole in a dish, topped with slices of sausage.
*You can find preservative-free sausages at a good butcher or in certain health food shops. A new range of Clean and Lean preservative-free sausages, from Debbie and Andrews, is also now available at ASDA.