Savoury Tomato & Seed Flapjacks
Flapjacks don’t have to be sweet! These clean eating savoury flapjacks are simply packed with good nutrition, from the crunchy seeds, to the soft wholegrain oats.
This recipe carefully balances complex carbohydrates (oats and carrots), good quality protein (seeds and eggs) and plant-based fats (coconut oil), for a filling, energy-dense snack. Eat them on their own or as an accompaniment to soups.
Makes 8 flapjacks
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Add the seeds, salt, oregano and oats into a medium sized mixing bowl and stir to combine the ingredients well.
- In a small frying pan, gently sauté the garlic in 1 tbsp of the coconut oil for a few minutes.
- Add the grated carrot, paprika and tomato puree to the pan and continue to cook gently for another 5 minutes. Tip the cooked carrot mixture into a separate large mixing bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining coconut oil and the beaten eggs to the cooled carrots and stir to combine all the ingredients into a wet mixture.
- Pour the dry oat and seed mix into the wet carrot mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all of the dry mix is incorporated.
- Spoon the flapjack mix into a flapjack tray lined with parchment paper, press the mix down into the tray firmly with the back of your wooden spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then allow to cool in the tin before turning out and slicing into bars with a sharp knife.