Clean Eating Scones with Honey & Almond
These clean eating scones are made 100% wholemeal spelt flour, combined with flaked almonds and honey for a delicious, nutrient-rich treat.
Easy to prepare and make, these clean-eating scones contain complex carbohydrates provided by the spelt, and protein from the almonds and yoghurt. These components make these scones super-filling and helps to slow the release of sugars into the bloodstream.
- Cut a sheet of baking paper to the size of your baking tray, then set the paper to one side. Place the baking tray (without the baking paper) in the oven and pre-heat to 200°C.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarb into a large bowl. As you finish sieving you will find that the larger bran flakes are left in the sieve (about a tbsp.), discard these largest flakes.
- Cut the butter into small cubes, add them to the flour and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the flaked almonds and stir until well distributed in the flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the honey, milk and yoghurt with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the honey yoghurt into the dry flour and mix together with the wooden spoon. As the mixture starts to come together, use your hands to gently knead it into a ball of dough. Be careful not to overwork the dough or the scones will be heavy.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until it is approximately 3 cm thick.
- Cut out 5 scones using a medium sized round cutter.
- Using a clean finger (or a pastry brush), spread a thin layer of honey on top of each scone then scatter the surface with the remaining 1 tbsp of flaked almonds.
- Take the hot baking tray out of the oven. Very carefully, put the baking paper on the tray and then carefully arrange the scones on the hot sheet.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 10-12 minutes until the tops are golden brown and risen.
Price provided is for the batch of 5 scones.