Spanish Chicken and Chorizo Stew
This Spanish-inspired clean eating chicken and chorizo stew is hot, spicy and aromatic. Serve on its own to feed three hungry people, or shred the chicken off the bone and serve with brown rice or crusty wholemeal bread to serve six people.
- In a large saucepan, fry the chicken thighs over a medium high heat, until the skin turns golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and set to one side in a large bowl.
- Add the chorizo to the pan and fry until crispy on each side. The chorizo should release plenty of aromatic oil, remove the sausage from the pan and place in the bowl with the chicken thighs, reserve the oil in the pan.
- Turn the heat of the pan down and fry the onion, garlic and chilli in the chorizo oil for 5 minutes or so, until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the tomatoes and chickpeas to the saucepan. Stir well, then add the chicken thighs and chorizo back into the pan.
- Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through to the bone. This cooking time may vary depending on the size of your chicken thighs.
- You can either serve the stew as it is, or shred the chicken off the thighs and mix it into the tomato sauce.
*You can buy clean chorizo from Waitrose. Ideally, chorizo should contain pork, paprika, salt and garlic, with no added sugar.