Raw Strawberry & Banana Frozen Torte
When fresh fruit is ripe and in-season it doesn’t need any additional sugar, as you will see in this clean-eating dessert recipe. Ripe bananas are naturally sweet and provide the perfect ‘ice-cream’ style base for this healthy frozen torte.
Bananas are full of potassium, fibre, magnesium and anti-oxidants such as vitamin C. Strawberries are also full of natural anti-oxidants which mop up dangerous free radicals that can damage DNA. The phenols in strawberries are also natural anti-inflammatories.
This clean-eating dessert will give you a sweet, fruity treat but contains only 100% fruit.
- Peel and chop the bananas, place them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer to chill for 2 hours.
- Line a spring-form sandwich tin with clingfilm.
- Arrange the strawberry slices around the inner edge of the tin, so that they are standing up and form a ring.
- Add the frozen bananas and 120g of strawberries to the food processor and blend until smooth. This may take some time, depending on the power of your processor. Every 30 seconds or so, use a spatula to scrape down the edges of the blender to incorporate all of the lumps.
- Pour the smooth banana/strawberry mix into your strawberry lined tin. Gently tap the tin on a work surface to ensure that there are no bubbles at the bottom and smooth the top over with a spatula.
- Cover the tin with clingfilm and freeze for 2 hours.
- In a blender or food processor, blend 150g of strawberries with the honey (if using) to form a puree. Pass the puree through a sieve to remove any pips or lumps.
- After the torte has been in the freezer for 2 hours, pour the strawberry puree over the top. Smooth it over with a spatula and put the torte back in the freezer for half an hour.
- Remove the torte from the freezer and serve. If it is too firm, allow to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes to soften up.