Tomato & Chilli Jam
Most jams contain a large amount of sugar. This clean-eating tomato jam is deliciously sweet and spicy, but contains only 3 tbsp of honey. The rest of the sweetness is provided by the apple and the tomatoes themselves. Serve this clean-eating jam on wholemeal toast or crackers with thick slabs of cheese.
Cooking tomatoes increases their phytochemical concentration and boosts their antioxidant value. Lycopene is a highly efficient antioxidant; it neutralises free radicals and is thought to play a significant role in reducing the risk of certain types of cancer.
- In a large heavy based saucepan, heat the honey and water until the honey melts and combines with the water to form a runny syrup.
- Add the onion, apple, chilli powder and tomatoes to the pan and stir well.
- Turn up the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Allow the jam to continue to bubble away for 20-25 minutes until it has reduced nicely.
- Turn the heat down and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring regularly until the mix is thick and sticky.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Price provided is for the entire batch of jam.