Mediterranean Vegetable & Pinto Bean Casserole
This clean eating vegetable and bean casserole is full of the rich, fresh flavours of the Mediterranean. This stew is a nutritious source of fibre and energy-rich complex carbohydrates.
- In a large saucepan, gently sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the paprika to the pan and continue to cook gently for another couple of minutes.
- Add the aubergine to the pan and stir to coat with the spice. Allow the aubergine to cook for a few minutes and soak up the paprika and oil.
- Tip the courgettes, tomatoes and water into the pan. Stir then simmer with the lid on the pan, for 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Drain and rinse the pinto beans in water, then add them to the casserole. Allow the beans to heat through, season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve.