Summer Bean & Vegetable Casserole
Casseroles aren’t an automatic ‘go-to’ recipe in the summer, but this clean-eating vegetable casserole is different. This recipe is light and summery, flavoured with oregano and packed full of healthful nutrients. This casserole is perfect as either a side-dish or as a vegetarian main dish. You can omit the cheese to convert this to a vegan recipe.
1. Peel and thickly slice the potatoes and par-boil in lightly salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly.
2. In a frying pan, fry the onions and garlic gently in olive oil for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
3. Add the oregano and tomato puree to the onions and stir well to combine. Stir in the beans then remove the pan from the heat.
4. In a large baking dish, make a layer of potatoes on the base.
5. Spoon the tomato and bean mixture evenly over the potatoes.
6. Next, add a layer of courgettes to the baking dish.
7. Top the courgettes with sliced tomatoes and then cover the baking dish with foil.
8. Bake the casserole at 190° for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil, top the casserole with the grated cheese and bake, uncovered, for a further 20 minutes.
9. Check the casserole is done by inserting a sharp knife. The knife should touch the base of the dish without encountering any resistance from the vegetables.