Spiced Vegetable Fritters with Tzatziki
These vegetable fritters are coated with a gluten-free, Gram flour batter. Mixed with spices and soda water, Gram Flour (made from ground chickpeas) makes a deliciously light and crispy batter. You can coat a wide range of vegetables with this. This clean-eating recipe uses courgettes and button mushrooms, but you could also use onion rings, peppers, asparagus or green beans.
- Peel the cucumber and discard the peel. Grate the cucumber and squeeze the excess water from the pulp with your hands.
- Mix the yoghurt, garlic, cucumber and lemon juice and set to one side.
- Cut the courgettes into thick batons and brush any mud off the mushrooms.
- Mix all of the dry batter ingredients together.
- Slowly and gently, whisk in the soda water until you have a thick batter. Be careful not to over whisk the mixture, you want to retain the air bubbles. You may not need all of the water. You want the batter to be thick enough to coat the vegetables, but not so thin that it runs straight off the surface.
- Heat 1 cm of oil in a frying pan or wok. Dip the batons and button mushrooms into the batter and fry over a medium heat until golden brown. Fry the vegetables in batches or they won’t crisp up properly.
- Drain on kitchen towel.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately with the Tzatziki and fresh vegetables crudités.