Blackened Pepper & Mozzarella Pizza
Gorgeous flame blackened roast peppers are combined with red onion and mozzarella to create the topping for this healthy homemade pizza. Made with a whole wheat base, this dish is both satisfying and healthy.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 °C
- Add all of the ingredients for the pizza base into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together well and then turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead for just a few minutes. If the dough is too sticky them add small amounts of flour, add just enough to stop it from sticking to the surface.
- Rinse and dry your mixing bowl. Grease lightly with oil then put your dough back in to rest.
- Cover with a tea towel and put in a warm place for 90 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, take your red peppers and place them directly over gas hobs (1 pepper on each hob). Allow to blacken and then turn the pepper and allow to blacken again. Keep turning until all of the pepper is cooked and blackened in places (you don’t want to burn the whole pepper completely). If you don’t have a gas hob then use a grill and get the pepper really close to the elements. Do not leave the peppers unattended while you are blackening them! This is really important as you could cause a fire if you forget about them.
- When the peppers are finished, place them inside a plastic bag and allow to cool.
- Place the dough in the middle of a flat, greased baking tray. Use your fingers to gently push the dough out to the edges of the tray and flatten to an even thickness. Leave for another 10 minutes.
Assemble the pizza
10. When the peppers are cool enough to touch, use your fingers to wipe away the skin. Don’t be too thorough, you want to leave some of the black skin on the peppers.
11. Spread the pizza base with a thin layer of tomato puree. Slice the onions and peppers and arrange them on top of the pizza. Slice and then shred the mozzarella with your fingers and spread evenly over the toppings.
12. Bake for 30 minutes or until the base is crisp on the bottom and cooked through.