Wholewheat Pancakes with Mushroom Stroganoff
Clean eating wholewheat pancakes are best suited to savoury dishes because they are nutty and robust. They stand up to strong flavours and don’t fall apart when filled. In this recipe, whole wheat pancakes have been stuffed with a creamy, smokey mushroom stroganoff. Delicious!
- Pour the milk into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the egg and then whisk in the flour until it is well combined. Set the batter aside.
- Fry the onion in a little butter or oil in a medium sized saucepan for 10 minutes until it is translucent and soft.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms to the pan and continue to fry for another 5 minutes.
- Stir the paprika, tomato puree and mustard into the mushroom mix, then pour in the stock and let the stock bubble until it has reduced by about half.
- Stir in the crème fraiche and leave the pan on a low heat for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Melt some butter in a large frying pan, add a thin layer of batter and fry until golden brown on each side. Repeat until you have 4 large pancakes.
- Fill half of each pancake with filling and fold the other half over to form a crescent. Serve immediately.