Sweet Potato Pizza with a Chilli Mozzarella Topping
In this clean pizza recipe, sweet potato is formed into a crust replacing the traditional pizza dough crust. This base holds together well and the resulting gluten-free pizza can be picked up and eaten just like a regular pizza – only much healthier!!
Sweet potato is a gift to clean-eaters everywhere! This vegetable is significantly more nutritious than white potatoes and it has a lower glycaemic index so it won’t rapidly release glucose into your blood stream.
- Pre-heat the oven to 210°C.
- Place a seasoned pizza stone, or lightly oiled baking tray in the oven to heat up.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together cold mashed sweet potato and the beaten egg until a relatively smooth batter is formed.
- Add the Gram flour and stir well until the flour is well incorporated into the batter. The mixture will be quite wet and that’s fine.
- Remove the hot baking tray/stone from the oven and very carefully, spoon the base mixture onto the tray and spread it into a round or a rectangle depending on the shape of your tray. You want the base to be reasonably thick (the water will evaporate to make the final crust thinner).
- Put the pizza base in the top of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the diced tomatoes, diced red chilli and diced red onion.
- After 20 minutes, remove the baked crust from the oven. Carefully spread with the tomato puree, then top with the diced fresh tomato mix.
- Sprinkle generously with mozzarella and bake for a further 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve with fresh salad and enjoy!