Creamy Homemade Mayonnaise
Once you’ve had homemade mayonnaise you’ll never look back. If you look at the ingredients list on your shop-bought mayonnaise, you may be surprised to find that most varieties contain sugar, preservatives and refined vegetable oils. Many people are afraid of making their own mayo but it really is so simple. You can whip up this thick, creamy mayonnaise in less than five minutes and use it for a whole host of different dishes.
- Place the egg yolk, lemon juice, white vinegar, salt and mustard in a large mixing bowl (stainless steel works best if you have one).
- Whisk the ingredients with a metal balloon whisk until the ingredients are incorporated and the egg yolk brightens slightly in colour (after about 30 seconds).
- Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking continuously. After every 50mls or so of oil, stop drizzling so that you can give the mayo a really good whisk. Then continue for another 50 mls and so on, until you run out of oil.
- You should find that your oil emulsifies to produce that thick, creamy consistency.
- Serve immediately or store in a glass jar or airtight container for up to 3 days.