Natural Cold & Flu Remedy
Colds and flu are common at this time of year. Pharmaceutical remedies contain paracetamol, which should be avoided if you are pregnant; they also often contain artificial sweeteners such as aspartame. This clean eating, natural cold and flu remedy contains soothing honey, invigorating ginger and antioxidant rich citrus fruits.
- Before you begin, freeze your 10g block of ginger root.
- Thinly slice the lemons and the unpeeled, fresh ginger root.
- In a jam jar or mason jar, layer up the lemon and ginger slices until you have used them all up.
- Finely grate the frozen ginger into a microwavable bowl or a saucepan. Add the honey and gently heat until the mixture is runny and well mixed. Remove from the heat and add the juice from the lime.
- Pour the warm honey into your jar and allow it to seep around the honey and ginger slices. Allow to cool and then store in the fridge until needed.
- When you have a cold, or feel you may be coming down with a cold, add several of the lemon and ginger slices from the jar, with a good spoon of the gingered honey into a mug. Top with nearly-boiling water, stir well and allow to steep for 10 minutes. Drink as required.