Simple Roast Chestnuts Recipe
Roasted chestnuts are one of the most delicious, seasonal snacks available. Traditionally roasted over coals on market stalls, you can make your own simple roast chestnuts at home just as easily and you won’t get sooty, black fingers when you eat them. The key to cooking sweet chestnuts at home is to ensure you slit the skins prior to roasting so that they don’t explode in your oven! Eat alone as a snack or use them in other seasonal recipes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°
- Put a cross in the top of each chestnut, each side of the cross needs to go from one side of the chestnut to the other so that the chestnuts can open up during cooking and don’t explode.
- Place in a roasting tin, cut side facing upwards.
- Roast until the chestnuts are tender and the skins have opened up, approximately 30 minutes. Shake the tin at regular intervals to stop the chestnuts from catching.
- Allow the chestnuts to cool sufficiently for you to be able to pick them up. Peel off the outer layer, season with sea salt if desired and enjoy!