Spiced Carrot Cake
This clean eating carrot cake is dairy-free and gluten-free. Made using ground almonds and gluten-free flour, this cake a healthier, protein-rich version of the traditional carrot cake.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C.
- Line the base of a square 7 inch cake tin, with parchment paper. Use olive oil or coconut oil to grease the sides of the tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup and eggs.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the ground almonds, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger. Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the grated carrots to the liquid ingredients (eggs, syrup and oil). Thoroughly mix.
- Tip the dry ingredients into the wet carrot mixture, stir well.
- Pour the batter into your lined cake tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning the cake out of the tin onto a wire rack.
*You can use wholegrain wheat or spelt flour, or a wholegrain gluten-free flour, such as the Free From Fairy Wholegrain Flour in this recipe.
Read the related blog post – Summer Holidays Cooking with Kids – The Non-Instagram Version