Sweet Potato Colcannon with Baked Eggs
Sweet potatoes contain high levels of vitamin B6 which reduces homocysteine levels in the body and therefore helps to protect against heart disease. Sweet potatoes are also high in iron, vitamins C & D, magnesium and potassium making them excellent for preventing numerous chronic diseases including migraine.
Sweet potatoes are lower on the glycaemic index than white potatoes so they provide a balanced, steady source of energy into the blood stream and prevent rapid sugar spikes. This makes them an especially good choice for diabetics and migraine sufferers.
In this sweet potato recipe, potatoes are combined with protein and fat rich eggs for a hearty, balanced, vegetarian meal. The quantities provided serve 2 as a substantial main meal or 4 as a side dish.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and boil them for 20 minutes or until tender.
- When the potatoes are soft, add the diced onion and cabbage to the water and allow to boil for 2 or 3 minutes. Then drain the vegetables well, ensuring that all of the water is removed.
- Mash the sweet potato/cabbage mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grease an ovenproof dish and spoon in your mashed potato. Make 4 reasonably large wells in the mash.
- Break an egg into each well. Add a little more salt and pepper over each egg.
- Bake in the oven, at 190°C for 20-30 minutes until the egg is set nearly firm with a little bit of wobble left in the centre.